Leftover Rice with Mushrooms
It seems like this always happens. We cook up a yummy dinner (like last nights coconut curry chicken) and we are faced with sooo much leftover rice. This is mostly because our rice-cooker only allows for a minimum of 3 cups of rice… and there is two of us… so the math doesn’t exactly work in our favor. Needless to say, I am always in search of a good way to make use of the the leftovers. Wouldn’t you know it, my friend had a yummy recipe to share!
This was a perfect way to utilize the leftover rice we had in the fridge and it worked as a delicious side for a new recipe I just tried out. This is a must-save recipe that I will definitely use again.
Leftover Rice Dish with Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 container mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/8 tsp chili powder (to taste)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 cup broth (vegetarian or chicken)
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions and garlic; saute for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute.
- Add in the cumin, coriander, and chili powder and cook for one minute.
- Add in the rice and cook for about 5 minutes stirring to coat with the spices.
- Add in the broth and cook for an additional 5 minutes (this may take longer if the rice was in the fridge).
- Add salt to taste and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro or your favorite main dish.